Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A call for collaboration 2

Just extending the post-I've been thinking:

Do I add another standard: 5) Truth?

Starting with the absolute, moving on to the relative, then to propaganda, then to lies?

Helping learners really understand the differences and the transitions that take an issue from one state to the other; how the difference can become relative depending on your personal circumstances and/or your agenda...for example (and I might get in trouble here):

They SAY Disneyland is the happiest place on Earth...but is it, really?

"Critical thinking" is a stated goal for students, but how critically do they really want learners to be (especially if being more like China and India is one of the stated goals of reform)?




I am looking to use the season of thankfulness to reflect on how I am not alone in my frustration with those that would call themselves leaders.  They are ineffective and destructive models of leadership, and it is pulling us in what I feel is the wrong direction. My start on better common core learning standards was buried in the pile of "have tos", but the behavior of those driving policy with the whips of their own narrow agenda and ignoring the voices of those who know more has brought these ideas bubbling up.

Take a look back in time (about a year ago). I started standard one, and will be continuing. That standard one start may have been posted, or it might be saved in draft form, but if you have any thoughts about these standards, share. If you have any goals, performance indicators to place in a scaffold of primary-to-young adult...share. I am in no way interested in making money off of this, I just want to try and save the world for my kids, and everyone's really. In all reality, the odds say that at 46 yrs old, I am past mid-life. If I am going to try and take back our schools and the conversation regarding what I want for my kids and their kids...gotta get busy.

Because life is so brief and time is a thief when you're undecided.
And like a fistful of sand, it can slip right through your hands.


http://dan-mcconnell.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-common-core-of-more-vital-learning.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding and commenting. All comments will be reviewed, and only vulgarity and off-topic strangeness will be removed.